Friday 14 December 2012

My dreams about Indian wildlife

   India is one of the richest biodiversity hotspots in the world. The western ghats of India, the Himalayan region and North-Eastern part of the country are the richest biodiversity hotspots in the world. Unfortunately the people of India pay little or no interest towards the conservation of our biodiversity. Everyone is interested in the conservation of large animals like Tiger, Lion, Elephant, Rhinoceros etc but the wildlife of India is much expansive and these aforementioned big animals make just a small part of it. There are several other small animals which may seem insignificant, but hold a lot of value in the conservation of biodiversity. Flying lizard, Malabar giant squirrel, Honeybees and many other small vertebrates and invertebrates which may not look attractive as a lion or a tiger, but still hold their own value and have their own role to play in wildlife. My intention is to create awareness among the people about the importance of these small animals and their status in our jungles today.

   Since a couple of years, I have been reading Kenneth Anderson's books of man eating leopards and tigers. Tiger has been my most favorite animal and in fact it is the only animal which I always want to see whereever I go. I have seen them on eight occasions so far, all in zoos, but every time I saw them, I had the same mind boggling and wonderful feeling. What an animal it is! Indeed it is the king of jungles, not the lion as it has been said in many of our jungle stories. If you study the lifestyle of these two big cats, you will never put lion ahead of tiger. I will explain it in my future articles in detail.

   Coming back to my blog again, I would like to make one thing clear. That is, even though I am interested in wildlife conservation, I am writing posts with scientific information also in this blog, because since my college days, taxonomy is my favorite subject and it still continues to be. Unfortunately I couldn't find any course related to taxonomy in Karnataka, but still studying it in my own way. I am including all types of articles, informative, descriptive and entertainmental. I write posts about my experiences near my home, my love for nature and my limited knowledge about wildlife. As I have already stated, taxonomy is my favorite subject and would like to post contents related to it. Hope you will enjoy the posts....

   Thank You everyone...
   Srinivasa Murthy

  

1 comment:

  1. It's true India has the richest biodiversity in the world and as far as wildlife tourism is concerned, there is huge scope to explore. Get to know about wildlife tour packages in India and plan accordingly.

    ReplyDelete